Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Undead Soul of my Soles

It is with a heavy heart that I lay to rest my Asics GT-2140s, a pair of shoes that lasted many miles and traveled with me over countless trails, potholes and...

I'm not dead.

Excuse me? Who said that?

Me. Down here.

Oh, hey shoes. Sorry about that.

What's this about me being dead?

Well, I mean, I just meant to say that, well, you're not really dead but you're...well...

Just say it. I've been replaced.

Well...yeah. Sorry.

No you're not.

Sure I am. Well, a little.

No you're not. You're not sorry at all. You were always planning to get rid of me. I knew it when you got those barefoot running shoes at Christmas. Sure they were lighter and cleaner. But I just chalked it up to a phase. You know, some passing fancy. But now...now you've got this new pair. And BROOKS of all things. BROOKS!

I said I was sorry.

Well sorry isn't gonna cut it, mister. I mean, c'mon, we went through so much together. We ran a MARATHON together.

Yeah, that was my first marathon...good times...good times...But look, it's over. I'm sorry. It isn't you, it's me...No, I lied. It really is you.

Really? What's wrong with me?

Honestly? You stink. Literally. You really stink. And you have holes in the toes.

Yeah, well, you're bald, so what's that got to do with anything?

Touché. But anyway, it's just different. We've just grown apart. That's all. Nothing more. We just have different goals in life.

Oh, I see how you are...just use me until I'm worn out. Just use me until I'm no good for anyone or anything, and what do you do? You just find another pair and keep on going your merry way.

Well, yeah...you're shoes, after all. That's sort of how this works. And you're not good for nothing. That's why you're in the garage. Come spring time, I'll use you when I mow the lawn.

MOW THE LAWN!! IS THAT ALL I'M GOOD FOR TO YOU? MOWING THE LAWN!?

Well...yes.

Oh...well...I guess the lawn's all right. I mean...it'll get me outdoors...

See? That's the spirit.

Promise me you'll say hi from time to time?

Promise.

All right then. Sounds fair.

Glad we got that settled.

Just remember I'm not dead.

I'll remember.

Happy running.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Great story! I've been through the same thing. But really, the parting is more dramatic when you switch brands. I'm sure your 2140s are still crying that you not only went for a younger model, you switched COMPLETELY! And after they carried you through a MARATHON!

    @DP_Turtle
    www.TurtlesAgainstCancer.com

    ReplyDelete