Sunday, January 3, 2010

Treadmill trials and tribulations

I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill. I love the results. I love not having to run in 8 degree weather or packed snow, but I hate feeling like a hamster in a wheel. I hate how much I sweat. I hate staring out the same window at the same boring parking lot for hours at a time.

So I play mind games to get through the workouts. Today was no exception. The first game I play is to see how far I can get before I start sweating profusely. Can I make it a mile? More? Today's distance was officially 1.14 miles. After that, you don't want to run near me (or else you should wear a poncho).

Game 2 is the "how fast can I get" game, where I bump up the speed a little bit each quarter mile. At Mile 2, I was running easily at a 7.0 (8:34 mile) pace. Then I bumped to 7.1. At 2.25 miles, it's 7.2. 2.5 = 7.3. And so on until I get to a pace where I feel like I'm working to hard to keep going up or I get bored.

Game 3 started today. At about 3.5 miles I was getting bored with Game 2, so I thought about my previous blog. In that entry, I mentioned being able to run a consistent seven-minute mile. Could I still bring it? At mile 4, I pushed the machine to 8.5 (7:03 mile) and held on. At 4.5 miles I was feeling pretty winded. By 4.75 miles, I didn't know if I'd make it—that "speed down" button looked awfully tantalizing. 4.9...4.91. I started counting my steps between hundredths of a mile. There were 10 between increments. 4.92 (10 steps) 4.93 (10 steps) 4.94 (10 steps)...the sweat was getting thick...4.95...I wanted to hit my iPod to play my favorite pump-up song, but my arms couldn't get there...4.96...4.97...Almost there...4.98...4.99...

And I made it! A seven-minute mile. It was official. Take that, 25-year-old me. I could still bring it. Well, once anyway.

I still have no idea how I used to do that consistently mile after mile.

No matter. There will be more time to figure out if I can do it more than once. After all, there are more treadmill games to play before this winter is over.

Happy running.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny to hear a guy talk about sweating profusely on the treadmill. When I used to work out at the Wichita Y, there was always one guy I dreaded being stuck next to - I called him Sweaty McSweaterson, and needing a poncho to be next to him sounds about right!

    Nice work on the seven minute mile. You rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have adopted some of your treadmill games. Yesterday I played the "How long until I sweat profusely" game...For the record, it was about 1.4 miles. Way to go on the impressive 7 minute mile, btw.

    -Mitzi

    ReplyDelete