Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sign me up...or in...or something

I want a sign for the gym. Something like a get-out-of-jail-free card in Monopoly. It would say, "I have been a runner since (year) and a member of this gym since (date)." The sign would allow me to bypass the "resolution crowd" and actually get on a treadmill during the next couple of months. It would be the equivalent of getting to the front of the line at a fancy club:

"Ah, Mr. Streisel. Good to see you, sir."

"My usual treadmill, Paul?"

"But of course, sir. Right this way, sir."

Not that I have anything against the resolution crowd. Good for you, I say. Way to get motivated. Way to set some positive goals this new year.

But I write this because two days ago I got stuck in the resolution crowd rut. Contrast the gym population on a Tuesday before Christmas at around 6 p.m. (about 10 people) to the population this past Tuesday at the same time (about 60 people). There were lines everywhere—lines for the treadmills, lines for the weight machines, lines for the bathroom (not really). I had to bypass the treadmill and hit the elliptical machine. It was a decent workout, but it was no run.

So I tried a different strategy tonight. I waited until 8 to go to work out. It was a good idea. There were plenty of treadmills available; I was even able to run a full hour (seven miles).

Still, I'd like to exercise a bit earlier. Looks like that won't happen for a while, though, and that's frustrating.

Which is why I want a sign. Either that or I'll wait until the resolution crowd goes away...I figure by Feb. 20 I'll be good to go.

Happy running.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe with all this snow and cold, people will decide their resolutions aren't really as important as staying home and staying warm....if only it was nice outside, we could bypass the gym altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my gym, this phenomenon is exacerbated by the fact that there are only TWO really nice treadmills, and a bunch of really crappy ones. Guess which ones the people always want to use? (Myself included!) Oh well.

    ReplyDelete