Sunday, April 25, 2010

New stuff = motivation

Author's note: Holy crap! I knew I hadn't blogged in a while, but this is ridiculous. Sorry. Won't happen again. Well, maybe it will, but it's a nice thing to say...now, on with the post...

I downloaded some new songs to my iPod the other day. Just a couple of ditties from iTunes - a little Cake, some Prodigy, a dash of Radiohead. And about two weeks ago I received and wore the new Headsweats visor I ordered (thanks, Sean, for the recommendation). I got some new Livestrong running shorts, too.

Why do I mention these trinkets? Because they help. Well, they help me anyway. See, no matter how dedicated I am to running, getting out there on the road or treadmill day after day after day can get a little monotonous. The same songs, the same clothes, the same scenery - it can get redundant, and it can make even the most obsessive athlete think about taking a break.

But something about a new item can take a little of the edge off and can give me something new to keep me going. New songs, new shorts, a headband, all of it gives me a fresh perspective on the road.

New scenery, too. Last weekend I was in Portland, OR, for a journalism convention. I taught a class at 8 on Saturday morning and then, rather than sit in on a couple of additional sessions, I decided to hightail it back to my hotel, throw on my running gear, lace up my shoes and head out to the Riverwalk along the Willamette River. It was a beautiful little trail along the waterfront, taking me past the Saturday Farmer's Market underneath Burnside Avenue and a quaint little shopping plaza a little farther south. In the water were several rowing sculls filled with dozens of people learning the sport. The weather was beautiful - 60 degrees and partly sunny, just perfect for an extended run. I probably ran eight miles that morning, but it certainly didn't feel like it. I was too busy checking out the new sights to worry about how far I ran. If anything, I had some extra fuel in the tank. I was ready for more, and that motivation was enough to get me through the next several days once I returned home.

I'm not suggesting you go broke trying to find new stuff to keep you going. Just small stuff can be enough. A new set of music. A new snack. A new trail. That's about all I need.

Oh, and the new water bottle I've got my eye on...and that new running shirt...and those socks I've been thinking about...and...

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment